What is Cabin Crew Attestation and do I need one?

So what’s it all about in a nut shell...let’s try and keep it simple!

The ‘Attestation of Initial Cabin Crew Training’ is a qualification. It is a safety training course and is recognised and approved by the Civil Aviation Authority, the European Air Safety Agency and the airlines themselves.

Cabin crew will undertake this qualification at the start of their cabin crew career.

If you wish to work as Cabin Crew in commercial air transport within a Member State of the European Community you must hold a valid Cabin Crew Attestation (CCA). It is a certificate of professional competency and permits you to carry out the duties of Cabin Crew on European Community registered aircraft.

Who can do it?

To be eligible for Attestation Certification you must be at least 18 years of age and have successfully completed the initial safety training course and the associated exam in accordance with the training for your airline.

Once you have your Attestation certification, you can use it if:

  • You have successfully completed and passed your initial safety training for the aircraft type you are working on – such as the Boeing 737 or the Airbus A380.
  • You have passed a ‘fit to fly’ medical assessment with your airline – this requires them ensuring you are physically and mentally fit to do your job – it is likely contact will be made with your GP for records. If these cannot be obtained, you will need to pay for a medical assessment at your own cost.
On completion of aircraft type and operator conversion training you will be provided with a certificate of that training – this is your Attestation! This details the aeroplane types that you are permitted to operate and also the date your annual training and checking is next required for that aircraft type.

How much does it cost?

Most airlines will include this within their initial training. Some airlines may ask for a contribution towards the training costs, particularly low cost airlines like Jet2 and Ryanair.

Do I need Attestation to start as cabin crew?

No, this is not required. If you are successful and secure employment with an airline, they will put you through your initial safety training and Attestation certification will then be applied for.

Why might someone want to do their Attestation before being offered a Cabin Crew Job?

It is possible this can improve your chances of employment with an airline as it cuts the amount of initial safety training you would need to undertake, however most airlines will offer a 5 to 6 week initial training course where this is included.

Should I pay for my own Attestation?

It will cost if you wish to complete Attestation before flying, often between £700 and £1000. Remember, if you are successful at interview with an airline, you will complete their initial Attestation if you don’t already hold this certificate and then this is yours to take to future airlines. Once you are Crew, you will have to demonstrate your safety training skills in yearly exams to keep hold of this certificate as confirms your skills.

For more information on Attestation, click here to visit the CAA Site

Show More

Andy Waite

Andy has worked in a number of travel and tourism organisations including holiday parks and travel agencies, as well as airlines including Flybe. He finished flying in 2007 and began training as a Cabin Crew instructor in 2010 at Exeter College.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Cabin Crew CV eBook
Bought by Pam from Australia
about 5 days ago
Cabin Crew Wings Course - May 2024 - ‘Life as Cabin Crew’: Workshop 1
Bought by Violetta from United Kingdom (UK)
about 1 week ago
Cabin Crew Wings Course - 11th May 2024 - Manchester Day 1 ONLY
Bought by Stephanie from United Kingdom (UK)
about 2 weeks ago
Cabin Crew Assessment Day ebook
Cabin Crew Assessment Day ebook
Bought by LORIESSEL from Italy
about 3 weeks ago
Cabin Crew Assessment Day ebook
Cabin Crew Assessment Day ebook
Bought by Lucyna from United Kingdom (UK)
about 3 weeks ago